Thursday, September 08, 2016

Embellished Adirondack Chair



At our beach house we have some pretty blue plastic (inexpensive) Adirondack chairs that I like to sit in and read on the deck. I've been trying to personalize the house and yard with "our" style - I've made some paintings/drawings on canvas - they are still to be hung on the wall 😳😜 and have been trying to think of ways to decorate the yard that will stand up to the sometimes extreme Caribbean heat - sun - salt air and humidity. I've been decorating bamboo driftwood for the gardens and wanted a bigger "canvas" - the chairs are the perfect item to experiment on. I sprayed a sunset on the chair using
an indoor outdoor spray paint that adheres to plastic. 


I let it dry for an hour or so and got straight to drawing with a regular Sharpie permanent marker. 



 I have a bit more drawing to call it finished and then I will cover it with a clear gloss spray made for plastic also indoor outdoor use. I'm not certain how this will work here - my concern is that the clear gloss won't protect the paint from sticking and peeling off when the chairs get stacked for storage. I will cure them in the house for the recommended time and then put outside to see how it weathers. In order to test the durability of the spray gloss I think I will need to make another painted chair and see how they react to being stored stacked. 

If anyone has experience with a similar project I'd love to hear from you! 






No comments:

Post a Comment