Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Santa Croce Angel Journal


This is my newest journal - a real heavyweight!!  There is so much gel holding the pages together that I think I might have doubled the weight of the book with just gluing pages!  It was a Math textbook which I find totally hilarious because I do NOT do math!! Some books while I am prepping them for altering I read the pages as entertainment while ripping them out and gluing the remaining pages together.  heh.  Not with this one....I don't think I read even one math problem ;) But the twisted side of me loves that this is my journal - a sick kind of irony. 

I bought a piece of birch plywood....really thin stuff and it's so smooth and gorgeous! I tried a gel transfer on it and it worked beautifully.  This photo I transfered is a pic of an angel statue that is in the outdoor courtyard of Santa Croce Basilica in Florence, Italy.  Michaelangelos tomb is here and it's one of my fave spots in Florence. My daughter Ellen discovered this stunning angel and took pics of it.  I somehow missed her my first 3 trips there but was determined to find her this past September.  I was not disappointed she is more beautiful in real life and I just love her, her hair, her crossed wings and the clouds in the background. She was the perfect size to fit on the cover of my newest journal and I've titled it

Santa Croce Angel Journal








I started out with painting the journal with my hand carved "cinnamon bun" stamp all over in purple and then a light wash of grey over top with a final layer of silver!  This book has a subtle shine and I love it!  I am going to attach a book mark ribbon to the eyelet on the spine.  All in good time ;)

Here's a page from this journal that just plain makes me happy!!  Love the colours and the feel of it.  I love how my dress shows through on the gel transfer.  I need to journal more....it makes me happy while doing it and after as well. 



4 comments:

  1. Your journal is fantastic!!
    What a clever idea, about the bookmark ribbon.
    Love having a look into your pages too, wonderful colors. :]
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot take credit for the ribbon bookmark idea April - my daughter Ellen suggested it ;)

      thanks so much for stopping by April - it's always a pleasure!!

      Delete
  2. Such a stunning cover! It's like the angel was meant to be there. I love that you have used a text book. I just came across some golden oldies in the garage and was wondering what to do with them...ah ha! Wonder no more. The text pages give a lovely shine to your beautifully colored backgrounds. The "Cinnamon bun" stamp is a delightful accent as well. I must say I admire your lettering skills. Your page makes me happy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy thank you so much for your thoughtful comments!! It is wonderful to meet you :) I really appreciate you taking the time to come over from Julie's blog.

      Delete